The ICA Council on Fitness and Sports Health Science was formed in 1992.
Its history can be traced back to the chiropractor, Dr. Jack Barnathan volunteering at the 1985 Special Olympics. Dr. Barnathan met Frank Richards, a body builder. Frank had a positive experience with chiropractic, shared his experience and soon chiropractic care became integrated into the health promotion regimen of many in the body building community. Frank Richards was a training partner of Arnold Schwarzenegger during this time and shared chiropractic with him. Arnold became an advocate of this integration. As a result, the first Chiropractic Symposium in association with the Arnold Classic was launched with much success.
It was recognized that chiropractors interested in receiving additional training focused on the unique needs of athletes would benefit from the creation of an entity through which they could network while having the option for continuing education programs. In 1992, Dr. Barnathan reached out to the International Chiropractors Association (ICA) and through the cooperation of the Executive Director at the time, Ronald Hendrickson, and then ICA President, Dr. Sid Williams, ICA Council on Fitness & Sports Health Science was born.
In 1993, the first Annual Symposium on Natural Fitness & Sports was held in conjunction with the Arnold Classic in Columbus Ohio. Over the years the Symposium has featured a diverse group of speakers, expert panels, roundtable discussions, hands-on sessions presented by some of the leading Chiropractors in our history.• Dr. Frederick Carrick, Founder of the Carrick Institute, and the world’s leading Functional Neurologist
- Dr. Terry Yochum, the leading Chiropractic Radiologist in the world and author of Essentials of Skeletal Radiology
- Dr. Tom Deters, Former editor of Muscle & Fitness
- Dr. Warren Hammer, author & international lecturer
- Dr. Terry Schroeder, six-time US Olympic Water Polo team member & Silver medalist
- Dr. Franco Columbu, two-time Mr. Olympia, World’s Strongest Man Competitor, Actor & Doctor of Chiropractic
In addition to these outstanding Chiropractors, the Symposium has presented sports figures, actors & actresses, including:
- Lou Ferrigno, former Mr. America & two-time Mr. Universe; also known for his TV role as “The Incredible “Hulk”
- Lee Haney, eight-time Mr. Olympia
- Dara Torres, Olympic Swim Team member; twelve-time US Olympic Medalist & world record holder in three events; she represented the USA in five Olympic games
- Barry Larkin, Hall of Fame Baseball Player
- Roger Craig, Hall of Fame Football player
- Joe Weider, Co-Founder of the IFBB & Creator of Muscle & Fitness Magazine
The focus was of the council is continuing education focused on the unique needs of athletes as well as networking for chiropractors involved in the delivery of care to athletes of all types and ages.
We are proud of our rich history and look forward to expanding our role as a leader in Sports Chiropractic. Athletes at every age and every level of performance deserve the opportunity to access chiropractic care.
Our vision is to forge new relationships and opportunities for our members with other professionals on the Sports Performance/Injuries team.